I love Italian. I remember when I first tried Bruschetta – it was amazing. For an entire week afterward I made it at home as a dinner. Greg and I would buy a huge Italian loaf (the kind the bakeries make tons of every day and then place conveniently at the checkout stands) and then layer it with all the Bruchetta goods. I can’t even imagine how many carbs we took in during one meal. Oh, and we NEVER added protein back to this meal. So, double whammy! This salad has ALL the fresh Bruschetta flavor with moderate fats, moderate carbs using homemade Ezekiel croutons, and added fresh chicken protein. It’s a perfect Italian meal – if I do say so myself!
Makes 4 servings
- 8 cups rinsed and chopped romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Italian Parsley
- ¼ cup (or more) chopped fresh Basil
- 10 (85g) sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 (40g) sliced white onion
- 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tbs reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ medium avocado
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 slices Ezekiel 4:9 bread
- 12 oz cubed cooked chicken breast
- 8 tbs balsamic vinegar (white or dark)
1. Clean, rinse, and chop romaine lettuce. Place in bottom of 4 bowls.
2. Slice cherry tomatoes and add to lettuce.
3. Heat pan over medium and coat with cooking spray. Slice onions and grill in pan for 3-4 minutes or until onions are tender and translucent. Add to salad bowls.
4. Chop fresh parsley and basil. Slice or cube avocado. Add all to salad bowls.
5. Sprinkle each equally with parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Italian seasoning.
6. I used Kirkland’s chicken breast tenders which can be found in the meat section. These are pre-cooked and convenient. Whichever chicken you use, cook first, and cut in to bite-sized pieces. Distribute between bowls.
7. Lastly, cut Ezekiel bread in to cubes, Toss with garlic, a little bit of sea salt, and olive oil. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until toasted. Distribute among bowls.
8. For dressing drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Yum! J
- Calories 308
- Total Fat 10.87g
- Sodium 623.32mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.23g
- Dietary Fiber 6.93g
- Protein 29.74g