Last night I made a really yummy tamale pie for Greg and Dakota. It was moderately healthy, but I kept thinking about how I could make it healthier should I want to eat it myself. Though I haven’t run the numbers, this is what I came up with in case someone wants to try it before I do.
NOTE! You can make your own homemade corn bread recipe, or buy one of the healthier “mixes” as I did (Arrowhead Mills Corn Bread Mix).
Makes 6 big servings
- 1 corn bread muffin mix (approximately 1 3/4 cup dry)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 lb extra-lean 99/1% ground turkey
- 1/2 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 chopped white onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup rinsed and drained black beans
- 3/4 cup salsa (red or green – or if you are like me, use both)
- Chopped black olives (approximately 1 tbs each serving)
- Non-fat Greek Yogurt
- Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime Seasoning
- Lime Wedges
- Grated reduced fat cheddar cheese to preference
- In a medium sized bowl, mix cornbread, egg, and milk until completely combined. Coat pie pan with cooking spray and pour in batter. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees and bake for 5-7 minutes. The crust will just be starting to set.
- Remove pie from oven.
- Brown meat, onion, and peppers until no longer pink. Remove any excess liquid from pan. Stir in chili powder.
- Spoon meat and bean mixutre in to center of pie, leaving a 1/2″ around the outside. Place in oven again and bake for other 18 minutes. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top and bake for an additional 2 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Remove from oven and garnish with seasonings, olives, and nonfat Greek Yogurt. Yum!
- Calories 297
- Total Fat 7.18g
- Cholesterol 39.17mg
- Sodium 731.33mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.36g
- Dietary Fiber 4.55g
- Sugars 5.06g
- Protein 20.98g